2CV
Home  2CV Page  Contents  Previous Page  Next Page

Day 9.

It turned out that a decent adjustable spanner to fit the suspension nuts would cost £50, so I settled instead for a cheap one - the sort where the jaws are at right angles to the handle and one jaw slides along a worm and rack system. I already had one of these, and with the second I was able to get these suspension nuts pretty tight. They will need checking after a while, and if they are at all loose I will get the garage to tighten them hard.

The rubber suspension stops had been located rather arbitrarily on the new chassis. The Haynes manual specifies a clearance when the car's ride height is adjusted. You can't adjust the ride height until the body and other parts are back on, but what you can do is to weight the chassis down with sacks of sand or what have you until the ride height is right, and then check the clearance of the suspension. I actaully used a plastic barrel, which when filled with water provided a usefully adjustable load. Citroën probably sell the shims, but you can easily make them up, in this case out of some of the stainless steel left over from the chassis plates.

The front brake pipes were now fitted - again fairly straightforward.

I had freed off the brake bleed screws - again fairly straightforward with heat, Plus-Gas and a mole wrench - but they were mostly damaged in the process, one of them very badly. Only Citroën seem to supply these bleed screws, and Citroën garages don't seem to have 2CV parts in stock now. A special order was needed but only a 24 hour delay. Wingrove of Newcastle got them in 24 hours, but the wrong ones. 24 hours later the right ones arrived.

Quite a bit of time was spent on the inside of the body panels - bonnet and wings - that were not away being welded. I cleaned the mud off the inside but didn't disturb sound underseal. Then a good dose of Kurust was applied to any rusty areas, followed by Hammerite after three hours or so.


Home  2CV Page  Contents  Previous Page  Next Page


Email: